Thursday 6 September 2012

Week Eight: Celebrities

As those familiar with my blogs would know, I like to interpret a sports theme when discussing the many areas of Globalisation, and in this particular blog I will be discussing the similarities and differences between the celebrities of the sports world, both localised to Australia, and the superstars of the international scene.

Take LeBron James from the NBA club, The Miami Heat. He is arguably the most famous sports person in the world and earned $53 million dollars from June 2011 to June 2012. And only $13 million of that was from basketball. What can be taken from these figures is that whilst LeBron is the best at what he does, the real money is made from his celebrity profile, what he does outside basketball, and his endorsements that gain him a worldwide profile, and the big bucks.

Whilst back home in Australia, to most people, Gary Ablett Junior is a household name, and the best player in the AFL, he is virtually unknown outside the country, and carries about 1/100th of the profile that LeBron James does. The shameless world of endorsements for money and is not as prevelant in sports celebrities in Australia as it is in the United States, but in saying that, its probably because the money isnt there to support it.

The sports celebrity world seems very enticing and a great life to be apart of, and the varying scales of such celebrities carry pros and cons depending on how you view the life each individual leads.

2 comments:

  1. I love sport and enjoyed reading what you had to say, I agreed with what you wrote, but I would also have added that LeBron James’ life is not driven by the amount of money received by having a name in basketball, but as a result of it. His love and talent for the game drives him to continue to play, being the best is the result of his work and determination where as the money is the result of him having the name and the talent. The money is nice I’m sure but its definitely not the reason he plays. Great job.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Loan Opportunity Offered By Mr, Pedro That Save My Family From Financial Bondage

    Hello Everyone, I am Putri Adiratnaa single mom from Jakarta, I would like to share this great testimony on how I got a loan from Mr, Pedro, when we were driven out of our home when I couldn't pay my bills anymore, After being scammed by various companies online and denied a loan from my bank and some other credit union I visited. My children were taken by foster care, I was all alone in the street. The day I shamefully walked into an old school mate who introduced me to Daisy Maureen. At first I told her that I am not ready to take any risk of requesting a loan online anymore, but she assured me that I will receive my loan from them. On second thought, due to my homelessness I had to take a trial and applied for the loan, luckily for me I received a loan of $80,000.00 from Mr, Pedro. I'm happy I took the risk and applied for the loan. My kids have been given back to me and now I own a home and a business of my own. All thanks and gratitude goes to the help of Mr, Pedro for giving me a meaning to life when I had lost all hope. If you are currently seeking loan assistance, you can contact them via: { pedroloanss@gmail.com WhatsApp+1 863 231 0632 } Telegram @ pedroloanss

    ReplyDelete